The MSTA as a formal group was born out of the need to fill a void in providing guidance for the improvement of science education in the state. An organizational meeting was held on April 26, 1953, at St. Mary's Lake, under the direction of Dr. George Mallinson. From this simple beginning of concerned educators, MSTA, as a State Chapter of the National Science Teachers Association and its 15-affiliate and associate members, has grown to one of the largest science organizations of its kind in the United States.
Since that first meeting, MSTA's mission has been to stimulate, support, and provide leadership for the improvement of science education throughout Michigan. In this roll MSTA's Board of Directors and membership have been long time supporters of the Michigan Department of Education's efforts to improve the ways teachers teach and students learn. From the original Michigan Science Standards to the support and development of the Michigan Education Assessment Program, throughout the years MSTA and its membership have served as willing partners. MSTA's involvement in long-range planning to improve science education in the 1980's has led to many of the statewide initiatives of today, including the Building a Presence for Science program that highlights teacher leadership and the improvement of science achievement for all students.
Specific purposes of the Association include:
The information complied in this commemorative booklet was researched and written by Mozell Lange, David Lawra, Jackie Mallinson, Nancy Mincemoyer, LaMoine Motz, Burton Voss, Walt Rathkamp